Click here to view a video recording of this online CLGS Event!
CLGS was proud to host the book launch for Liberating Gender for Jews and Allies: The Wisdom of Transkeit (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2022), an extraordinary collection of essays by trans Jews and allies explores cutting-edge ideas about gender through the lenses of tradition, art, autobiography, and solidarity. Co-edited by CLGS staff members Rabbi Jane Rachel Litman and Rev. Jakob Hero-Shaw, this book offers analyses of Biblical and Rabbinic thinking, sample rituals, guidance on Jewish practice, spoken word poetry, music, trans Jewish history, psychology, and personal stories.
The contributors to this volume are richly diverse and include transpioneer Kate Bornstein, a drag queen rabbi, Jews by Choice, Jews of Color, the Jewish consultant to the show Transparent, Orthodox Jews, a Jewish priestess, and a Metropolitan Community Church minister. Each page reveals startling, fresh insights into the construction and disruption of gender from a Jewish perspective.
The following contributors joined us for this event:
- Dr. Marla Brettschneider: “Leslie Feinberg: Anti-Racist White, Working-class, Secular Jewish, Transgender, Lesbian, Female, Revolutionary Communist”
- Zebulon Hurst: “In/Difference: Snapshots of Belonging”
- Rabbi Susan Goldberg: “Transparent Rabbi: An Evolving”
- Rabbi Irwin Keller: “A Postcard from the Effeminati”
- Surat-Shaan Knan: Expressions of Gratitude and Solidarity
- Rabbi Fern Feldman: “Gender Fluidity, the Cherubim, and the Divine Presence”
- Rabbi Dr. Levi Ethan Alter: “Yad VaShem”
- Martin Rawlings-Fein: “Choosing to be Chosen: A Film Showing the Striking Similarities between Conversion and Transition”
- Rabbi Rona Matlow: “Gender and Tanakh: Exploring Rabbinic Interpretations of Gender and Sex in the Hebrew Bible”
- Abi Weissman: “Trans Jewish Cultural Competency in Psychotherapy”
- Rev. Jakob Hero-Shaw: “A Conversation with Kate Bornstein”
This CLGS event was recorded on 18 September 2022.