The CLGS Jewish Roundtable is hosting the first-ever gathering for adults who were raised in Jewish and queer families and communities.  Over forty young adults ranging in age from eighteen to late thirties will attend this retreat on Sunday, 3 November 2019 on the Pacific School of Religion campus in Berkeley, California.

“I feel that having a single lesbian rabbi mother was very stable compared to so many of my friends with two straight parents and tons of drama,” says Raffi Greenberg, a union organizer in his twenties who has registered for the conference. “My mom was a wonderful role model in terms of Jewish values.  She would quote bits of Talmud to my siblings and me.  My favorite is: ‘It’s not on you to finish the task, but neither are you free to refrain from doing your bit.’”

The gathering will focus on the intersections between Jewish and queer-raised identities and address the ways in which both Jewish and queer values are transmitted inter-generationally.  The retreat will also look at the ways Jews and LGBTQ people create families and communities.

Participants will spend two days together engaged in singing, prayer, study, discussion and (of course) eating in order to form a second-generation community.

Presentation topics include:

• Jewdar, Gaydar, and Other Mysteries of the Collective Unconscious
  • Finding my Minyan of Donor Siblings
  • Out of the Box and into the Street
  • Queer and Het, Not a Contradiction
  • Explaining my Six Parents on the First Date
  • Queerspawn Resources

Jewish and Queer Raised is committed to diversity and accessibility.  Jews of Color, Sephardi, and Mizrachi Jews are warmly welcomed.  Signing and childcare available with advance notice.  Generous travel and housing allowances are available for those with need.

This retreat is possible through a grant from the Walter & Elise Haas Fund.

For more information, contact Rabbi Jane Rachel Litman at jlitman@clgs.psr.edu.

Rabbi Jane Rachel Litman [Coordinator, CLGS Jewish Roundtable]

Register here for the retreat!